10 August 2009

Shake that thing

The ringneck parrots make such a racket, as they fly between trees across the lawn. I cannot describe the sound of the chatter the 4-6 of them make. Several pair land on the fence at the back of the yard. I can see them, from the couch, strutting and talking down the line. One of the squawking pair wiggles its long tail back and forth, causing light blue feathers to fan out from under the long emerald green tail. The other of the pair, gives a couple calls and edges closer. The tail shaker stops, moves away, and quickly waggles it again. I watch through the glass, windows open to the full sound of their calls, and am torn between watching the end of the performance and running to get my camera. I opt for just enjoying nature, and trying –most likely ineffectually – to relate it in words.

(This event played out on Sunday, 9 August. The included parrot pictures were taken in the forest near Gloucester Tree – Pemperton, Western Australia. I have yet to begin writing about my travels with Dave…. I am not sure yet whether to write in my customary way – diary like, day by day – or to create small stories/anecdotes – like the one above – to go with pictures from the journey. At the moment, I am sufficiently lacking in motivation/energy for either!)


1 comment:

Karen & Colin said...

anecdotes / funny stories to go with the pictures please!