03 February 2012

Long Rotorua Weekend

So it's only February and I'm already behind on my photo a week challenge!  I was so excited to get photos during our long weekend in Rotorua, that I forgot to get a photo for the week before the weekend!  Then....I forgot to bring my camera to Rotorua!!!!  What a goose!

Fortunately, I have a fairly decent camera on my phone, so I was still able to capture a few memories of a wonderful weekend spent with friends (which just happened to fall on my birthday as well :) )

So, instead of just one photo to tempt my readers, I'll post a few :)

We spent the weekend staying at the family bach (vacation home). It's small and cozy, like a traditional bach should be.  Our good friend Joe made the trip from Auckland Saturday evening, while our flatmate David brought his bike along for some mountain biking. At the bach, I discovered "swing ball" (like tetherball with a tennis ball and paddles).  It was GREAT fun!

Dave and David playing swing ball

We met up with our friend Renee on Sunday day and took a walk around Blue Lake:





Dave and I gaze loving at each other

Renee, Dave, Joe, and David at Blue Lake


Renee tries barefoot walking
 After a lovely walk around the lake, we headed to a natural hot stream called Kerosene Creek.  It's a bit out of town, but well worth the effort.  Unfortunately, I have no pictures from that day!  But, here is a picture I stole off a friend back in 2008 (see WAY BACK post to read about another Rotorua weekend)
Kerosene Creek, taken in 2008. It's a naturally hot
creek that has a natural spa pool


Unfortunately, the creek is down a gravel road with lots and lots of potholes......
Flat tyre (yes, that's the way kiwi's spell it)
on the way home from Kerosene Creek
 Back at the bach, we love the kittens that grace us with their presence.

Everyone say "awwwww"

We spent my birthday taking the morning shuttle to the top of the mountain biking tracks for some bone jarring downhill.
David speeding downhill

No comments: