05 April 2012

Feijoas! : Photo a week challenge

When Dave and I discussed the date of our wedding we had, to my mind, two options.  1) Pohutukawa season or 2) Feijoa season.  My hope had been that our wedding would be the excuse friends and family would need to finally visit NZ and I wanted a true kiwi experience to be had when they arrived.  I decided the pohutukawa flowers would be a better show to see, plus the weather would be better: escape from the northern hemisphere's winter to our summer :)

The reason I wanted people to visit during feija season was because I cannot describe the flavor of a feijoa.  I mean, it tastes like a feijoa.  All I can say is if they are slightly under-ripe (the way I like them), they have a slightly sour taste.  If they are over-ripe (disgusting, but Dave likes them) they have a perfume-like taste.  They have a grainy texture and are eaten like a kiwi fruit; that is, cut in half and use a spoon to scoop the flesh from the skin.  Unlike a kiwi fruit, whose skin is hairy and thin, fiejoas have a thick, smooth skin.  I find that the more I scoop towards the skin the tarter and tangier the flavor of the flesh.

Here's a photo of a couple feijoas off our massive tree:  We can get some super big feijoas, but other trees give small feijoas.  I've shown a couple sizes in the back, as well as one of the large ones cut in half.....I made a delicious smoothie with the insides of these fruit.

5 April: Feijoa love.  Feijoa's are ripe after they
fall of the tree.

Unfortunately, it's looking like very few of my friends or relatives will be spending the money to visit NZ, but for those that do I have a special treat! (besides seeing me...)  It turns out that I can put whole feijoas in the freezer and several months later I can present a thawed feijoa that tastes like it just came off the ground that day!  YAY!!!!  I've put quite a few of the fruits in the chest freezer downstairs.  Nevermind that I still have several cups worth of feijoa pulp from last year to use! (delicious in muffins!)

No comments: