05 May 2012

Strawberries! Photo a week Challenge


I finally got out in the garden yesterday! It was a gorgeous winter day (yes, winter has fully hit - it's freezing at night and Dave has lit the fire the last 2 nights).  The sun, however, is still quite warm and it was nice to get out in it and get some soil on my gloves :)  I didn't get around to planting my turnip and onion seeds, but I did clean up my strawberry plot! The 5 plants that I purchased back in Nov/Dec have turned into nearly a hundred plants!  Okay, I didn't count them all, but there have to be at least 50.

The strawberry patch is a perfect place for the plants to take over, they are under the grapevine, are in the only place to still be getting sun, and the space has never been used optimally for gardening.  However, the strawberry runners were going a bit extreme - getting tangled in the bird netting and spilling out of the garden and onto the footpath.  So, today's photo shows the haul of strawberries I planted out yesterday! I've left a few  runners attached but able to form roots in pots so I can move them later, but this is the majority of my culled plants. They were looking pretty wilty after a day of sun yesterday, but a crisp night has perked them up again.


5 May: Baby strawberries in morning light
 Oh, and my strawberry patch is producing again!  I've laid down quite a bit of slug bait, so by the time these babies ripen I might get to eat them!


No comments: