15 June 2008

My first rugby game

It's blowing like crazy out there with precipitation ranging from non existent (very sunny this morning) to barely there (misty) to pretty decent (though not in large drops, just heavy sheets of misty wind).  So it's mostly been an indoor day around the property (not cold though).  During a break in the rain, we did get a beam realigned and I have done some Excel organization (hence the computer access)

We missed the early morning sun (though it still woke me up), because none of us went to bed before midnight, since we were watching NZ All Blacks play a rugby game against England (no mascot).  I have heard that watching these games are insane -particularly at a bar (or in person).  As it was, I was in the one room building watching the game with my host (NZ) and fellow WWOOFer (UK).  We didn't even have beer - which I would have bought when were at the store if I had known the plan for the night!  (But don't think my host hasn't been generous - beer was purchased after our full day of work putting up concrete posts and there have been several bottles of wine too - I almost feel like I'm not working hard enough for all the food I am eating!).

Anyhow - the rugby game was quite interesting.  It's basically a combination of wrestling and some strange form of American football!!  I can only tell you one real rule - you can only pass backwards, oh - and the penalty kicks are from where the penalty occurred - leading to some odd angles to get through the posts.  I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what causes ANY of the penalties!!  All I know is the players are lined up for a "scrum", then they are all pushing each other, then they are standing up and being penalised (or sometimes the ball comes out of no where and then guys are falling all over each other).  It was really quite interesting - and brutal.  

There are 2 halves, 40 minutes each.  It doesn't take much more than 40 minutes to play both halves, since there are few time outs and no clock stopping to move the chains and very little huddling.  It was fast paced, hard hitting, and a little bit bloody.  Some of the players wear bands around their heads to pin their ears down.  Some of the players were sporting decent examples of "cauliflower ear" - not pretty (though I don't think I got a view of a REALLY mangled ear).  

All in all, I would watch it again.  The All Blacks are pretty much always guaranteed to win, but it's still fun.  End score?  37 to 20 - to the All Blacks, of course.

Oh man - and the best part?  Watching the All Blacks do their "haka" before starting to play.   A haka is a Maori dance, recently associated with the men's predominant role.  It involved chanting and leg slapping and sticking out the tongue.  Quite intimidating really!!

(note - the "haka" link should work to connect you to All black info.  It's my first time trying it)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

That's really cool to learn about Mel. Thanks for including that link. I had no idea about Maori or any cultural history for NZ. I liked that. Had to laugh because your description of Rugby sounds like how I've always described football. lol I love it.