13 June 2008

WWOOFing

I arrived Monday night at my first ever WWOOF experience (today is Friday). So far, it has been an EXCELLENT experience. I think I found the perfect place to start my WWOOFing.

WWOOF stands for “willing workers on organic farms”. It is a worldwide organization, but usually requires registering with the national WWOOF of the country you want to work. What WWOOF does, is provide food and housing in exchange for a half day of work around the place. The work can be gardening, building, tending animals, or just about anything else that needs done.

The place I’m currently staying is in the far northland (northland is the peninsula above Auckland). The nearest town to our place is Kaitaia, but the property is just off of Lake Ngatu (ng makes a sound like the Spanish “ñ” in niño). I am staying with a retired guy – John Kenderdine – that has been living “off the grid” for 14 years! He uses solar and wind energy for power, has a composting toilet, collects rain water from the roof, and lives in a 1 room “shed” built entirely of natural materials (primarily dirt and concrete). The shed he lives in was a practice run for the house he is currently building. I sleep in an old camper trailer, so I have privacy, warmth, and a place to put my stuff that isn’t my car. I haven’t driven my car since I got here! (I haven’t spent any money either!!). When I arrived, another WWOOFer was already here – Dominic. He sleeps in his camper van.

The projects we are working on include building the aforementioned earthen house, moving dirt from a pile into 3 raised beds (we filled one already), and finishing the front shed porch with concrete and tiles (we already cemented in a patch under a bench and added our own tile work!). While we are supposed to only work 4 hours a day, yesterday was a long day – for which we will earn a day off (but not today). Yesterday John did all the hard work of cutting concrete power poles into sections for the house supports. A friend of his came over with his old construction truck and lifted the sections into the pre-drilled holes. Dominic and I put sand in the bottom of the holes to keep the beams in place. It was really neat to see the supports erected. This afternoon we will finish the job. I’m not sure what the next steps for the house will be after that.

Dominic and I aren’t just slave labor. Yesterday we did some computer work to organize contacts for an environmental group John works with. (I did check my e-mail, but didn’t get have time to write anything to anybody - a bit like today). Today, we are having a lazy morning while John is in town for business. Dominic and I took Gus (John’s dog) for a nice walk around the lake. I’m writing this as Dominic does some planning online. I’ll post this when I send out my application for a University of Auckland technician job. I don’t have high expectations, but with some luck I’ll get an interview!

I am really stoked about WWOOFing. I am eating REALLY well and being introduced to new ideas. I’ll probably write a whole blog just about some of the ideas I’ve encountered.  It's been pretty good for me not having access to the internet ALL the time.  I got a little antsy a couple days ago, hoping my parents weren't worried.  So I texted Kristi to pass the word to mom and dad that I was fine (wasn't sure at that time if Dad got my first text).  It was good that I was already awake at 3am when she got back to me (9am her time) - as it would have scared me awake.  As it was, I had been having absolutely terrible dreams all night.  I'll never read Noam Chomsky right before bed again!

Now – I’m off to get an application in!!!!

No comments: