08 June 2008

Northward bound

I just tossed a gold $1 coin. It landed queen (heads) so I'm travelling north this morning. If it had landed kiwi (tails) I would be headed east - towards thermal hot spring and chilly mountains. Instead, I head up the peninsula and into probable rain. I'll probably end up doing some diving at poor knights (cross your fingers for me that they need someone to work in their shop).

I had a minor meltdown yesterday - stressing out over spending money while not making any - but am much better now that I've made the decision to leave Auckland. Money comes and money goes, no point in stressing. I do want to get on the move though. (Yes Viriginia, I am impatient - always have been, but I'm trying :)

It's funny. My initial plan when I came here was to head up north after my a week in Auckland. Here it is, 4 weeks now and I've only left Auckland once! Hence my desire to flee quickly. I am tempted to stay - drop a resume at a recruiting agency (a smart thing to do, but I should have done it 2 weeks ago) and I would like to got to a trecking club meeting Monday night - but I decided if I kept hanging out because of one more thing I wanted to do, I'd never leave. I'll be back though. The northland is a dead end, and all roads lead back to Auckland. Besides - I have to eventually pick up the mail my parents posted to my former hostel ;)

Am I nervous? Extremely, I don't even know where I'll be staying. Am I excited? Yes, I just wish the freaking manager of my current hostel would show up and unlock the pots and pans so I can make some oatmeal! Am I prepared? Probably not. I really should pick up a stove to go with the gas cans I've been given, but then I'd have to pick up a pot to boil water in. Then I'm just finding more and more reasons to linger. Not going to do it. I'll buy all that junk when I pass back through Auckland. There will be plenty of grocery stores where I can stop and pick up the bread and jam i need to live off of PBJs ;)

Yay. Happy travels to me! (now I just wish this sinus headache would go away - I think I inhaled some mildew or mold from the old blanket I was sleeping with - ewwwwww).

5 comments:

Melinda said...

"inhaled some......." what was the rest of that blog????

Melinda said...

Oh, also. Curious. Is ALL their money in coin? I know that internet is expensive, so no rush. If i don't ask now while i'm thinking about it i will forget!! lol :-)

Mel said...

Whoops - I'm not sure why the post got cut off? I fixed it - mold/mildew is what it was supposed to say.

No, not all money is in coil. They have 10 (bronze), 20 (silver), and 50 (silver) cent pieces, then they have gold $1 and $2 coins. Then they have 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 dollar bills - all different colors and kind of feels like plastic.

Melinda said...

cool. thanks. hey, can you send me one of each of those? i'd really like to see them! heh heh

Mel said...

I'll send you pictures - eventually!!!

;-p