28 May 2008

AMAZING Priscilla

Priscilla was AMAZING. It was everything I was hoping it would be – and more. There were dancing paintbrushes, dancing cupcakes, and a real bus with sides that flipped open to see the action inside. There were queens on the red carpet (see pics below) and queens on stage. Our seats were amazing. While we couldn’t actually see their faces from our heightened view, we had an obstructed view of the entire stage and all the glorious choreography. We were at the top of an aisle, so we didn’t even have seats in front of us!


The venue was gorgeous – The Civic. Bobbie and I were wowed by the intricate architecture and a “starry” ceiling when the lights went down. While I probably could have gotten a few pictures of the performance, I honoured their request for no photos – they would have been blurry without flash anyway. It was better to just watch, laugh, sing along, and dance in my seat than to try to worry about a camera.

The stage performance fit the movie almost exactly. There was no flash back to Tick’s wedding, but there was a flash back to a Lay girl performance. The ending collage of dance number was beautifully handled and the ending song brought out pretty much costume from the movie – including the ostrich, lizard, Koala, and a couple kangaroos. Of course they had the didgeridoo version of I will survive – complete with outlandish circle feet costumes.

The only disappointment was finding out that here, as well as in the UK, playbills are not provided! You have to purchase them on top of purchasing your ticket. I am such a spoiled American! $20 for a playbill! Well, yes, it is worth it for a Priscilla souvenir (I have a large stack of FREE playbills to remember all of my other theatre performances. The $10 strawberry daiquiri was also worth it, for the light up martini glass I got to keep! Yep, I’ll be sending home a package in the near future!

Ah, what a great night. Ha ha ha, I get all giggly just thinking about it this morning.

I got my picture with drag queens!!!

(Quick note – is it only the NZ/AUS version of MS Word that spell check gives you the correct spelling for didgeridoo? Or does the US version also provide it? NZ Word also gives all of my words an extra “u”; i.e. colour, honour, etc.)

1 comment:

ricktyrick said...

Hey, really neat pictures. Sounds loke you had a great time. Are you sure those are really guys???