21 May 2008

Today is a better day

I had a lovely dinner with Alison, a lady I contacted through couchsurfing. We met in a Border's cafe and had tea and sandwiches. She had lots of interesting things to tell me, and gave me some idea of what islands would be best to ferry to. She also walked me over to the public library (across the street). I was able to set up a temporary account and can now use the library computers for free, about 1/2 - 1 hour at a time. Yay! It doesn't solve the picture upload problem, but at least I can check my e-mail. Also, I did not realize that both New Zealand and Australia still answer to the Queen of England! They have a governor proxy that makes decisions in her place! Wierd - Queens birthday is celebrated in two mondays (although here birthday is in April, it's to close to Easter to celebrate then).

When I arrived back to the hostel, I met one of my roomates - Robbie, a sweet young girl from the UK islands. We chatted for a bit. Made me feel more comfortable there. She and my other roommate work for Vodaphone (mobile phone company) full time. This morning I woke at 8, had breakfast, walked through the park just below the hostel, and then started work. I made 10 beds today and vaccumed both floors and several rooms. It was nice to be productive, but I do miss having my mornings available (the ladies I've been volunteering with at Eden gardens meet today). Once I get a new pair of headphones I should be set for being a maid. It's certainly not a profession I plan to continue with, but since I'm doing "loos" I don't really mind the work. As I said, I like being productive. I like getting free board too!

So today has been much better. Chatting with Alison and Robbie last night really helped. Getting a good nights sleep helped a lot too. I get so emotional when I'm tired. Free internet is a load off the mind too. I want to check out Auckland tramping clubs. I found a government job office where I can search for jobs online. I checked out how they organize their CVs around here; I'll need to tweak mine a bit.

I have been checking messages while typing, in between erros of sending that is - Argh, it just did it again. Thanks for everyone's lovely support, it is much appreciated.

No comments: