24 May 2008

Gardening Tips

I went to the Britomart Farmer's market today. I saw some HUGE cauliflowers and celery larger than I've ever imagined. When I commented on this to the vendor, all she had to say was "horse manure". I imagine lots of sun went into the equation, too. So if you are looking to win the prize for largest vegetable - start shoveling your neighbors horse sh**. :-)

I didn't post anything yesterday because it was a boring day not worth reading - maiding, bus ridinging, dropping off an application that I won't hear back from, and library. I ended the night wondering the streets of Ponsonby (the district I'm staying in) and then playing a card game with a couple girls in the hostel (the 2 I went to the cinema with). It wasn't a bad day, just nothing note worthy - as I imagine most of my coming days will be.

Life here pretty much just consists of waiting (for my tax number to come through). I'm starting to get a bit antsy about traveling. I walked down the street last night and fewer than 5 people made eye contact with me! That's the city for you - no matter where in the world you go I expect. I'm starting to think more about purchasing a car. I'll need to drop a lot of weight during overnight hikes, might as well be some where waterproof and relatively secure. While I could bus to most places, I'd still have to pack everything around and then getting to the "gems" of the country would be more of a hassle - I promised my parents I wouldn't hitchike and I intend to keep that promise.

I'm spending more money than I like lately - eating out for dinner, going to cinemas (though Indiana was WAY worth it). Another meal WAY worth it was a takeaway (to go) Nepalese meal I had a couple nights ago! I've never had Nepal food before. It would have been fantastic, except that most of the goat meat still had bones attached! Still, it was nice to try something different. My roommate ordered something also, a favorite meal in Nepal apparently - it too was tasty. I really hope to make it to Nepal someday!

First, I have to make it to the rest of NZ!

No comments: