15 May 2008

Day 2.5

Pretty mellow day. I still got up pretty early - 5:45. Did some stretches, ate some breakfast, and then geeked on the net until 8:30. Walked into town to open a bank account. National Bank is very local bank that caters to rural NZ farmers in particular. It seems that you generally have to be a Kiwi to bank there, but since I'll be here working for a bit they let me in. My morning was marred a bit when I found that it would take them a month to clear the cashiers check I had brought with me - for the express purpose of opening a checking account. I was so mad at my ID bank for talking me into using that kind of check rather than the traveler's checks I had asked for. They will be getting an e-mail from me expressing my extreme disappointment in their disinformation.

So, after that I needed the 1/4 mile walk back to the hostel to cool down a bit. I geeked a bit more on the computer and had a cup of tea. I tried calling my parents but got the message machine. I preferred reaching the machine instead of calling when mom wasn't there and talking only to dad. I would have felt bad for mom if that happened.

After a small lunch (wow, I don't eat much when I'm required to cook! Peanut butter on a pita bread! Hey, I was full afterwards.), I headed back towards town. On my I had to take a picture of the crazy tree and it's seed pods. The pods seem to be full of air and then apparenly break with white fluff attached to the seeds. Wierd.

I stopped in and checked out the Auckland museum for a bit, but didn't really get that into it. They do have some nice displays, I was just feeling a little to antsy to read everything. The Maori exhibit is amazing - of course.

I then headed to the tramping store I was at yesterday. I bought the pants I had set aside, but put several items back - since I wouldn't be seeing any money right away. Mom will wire money from my US account, so I'm not living on pennies, but it's a bit disconcerting to know that I am in a country all by myself and have only a couple hundred dollars. I know, I know - I'd be rich in some places.

Anyway, after buying the crazy cheap tramping pants I headed back to the hostel. I'm kind of burnt out on wandering the city aimlessly I guess. I passed an Irish Pub on my way back "The Bog" and saw that they have live music tonight at 9. I decided that would be fun to check out. Hopefully I can make till 9! I've been crashing out so early these last few nights. I tried taking a nap this afternoon after talking with my parents (yeah, I caught both of them at home), but I just feel like I have so much to do that I couldn't sleep. So I've been geeking some more. Vaguely looking for jobs, trying to find a couple couches to surf after I leave the hostel (http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html?id=461GA8F), and talking with my bunk mate about buying a car.

I absolutely hate the idea of owning another car and supporing the oil industry, but apparently it is the best way get around NZ, not to metnion finding all the hidden spots. So I'm dreading putting down the cash for that. Really makes me feel that I need to get a job sooner rather than later. I actually contacted an advertiser from http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/. It was a position as a personal assistant in NZ. I would rock at that. So we'll see if I even hear back from her.

So my day has been mellow but somewhat stressfull. I could really go for a fun night out.

No comments: