29 May 2008

Driving on the left side

I DROVE TODAY!!! It was kind of crazy. Every time I tried to use my turn signal, the windshield wipers started! And I’d never get them fully turned off, because I was to busy making sure I didn’t run into something, or using my left hand to get in the proper gear. My passenger, and owner of the car, Flavio, would turn them off for me – as he’s telling me to “move over, you’re really close to the parked cars.”

It was pretty funny. At one point, Flavio pointed out to me that I was on the wrong side of the road! But only once. Right after I’d done a 3 point turn around. I just started driving down the little lane as if I was in America. I assume I would have figured it out when I saw cars coming towards me, but it was nice not to have that panic added on. We got a good laugh out of it. Luckily he couldn’t blame me much. I didn’t realize that Italians and Germans (not sure about the rest of Europe) also drive on the right side of the street – like us! So driving on the left was new to him too! Weird, I just assumed everybody except us pound and mile loving Americans drove backwards.

I haven’t given him a definite yes on buying the car. But I’m really leaning towards it. My parents and sister got a letter asking for advice. I really, really don’t want to go to the car market.

1 comment:

~Andrea~ said...

Do you have to have a NZ driver's license or is yours from the states valid? How much is gas over there?