16 May 2008

First night out

I headed up to The Bog, an Irish pub. Got a pint of guiness, read the paper, and then listened to the Dodgy Bastards play music. Since I've never been to Ireland, I will have take everybodies word for it that it was authentic. It was really fun. There was a lady there that used spoons as a percussion. It was great, they pulled her on stage for one song. She reminded me of mom. She was all smiles and happiness and 3 girls (daughters?) followed her to the stage and took pictures of her with the band. It was super cute.

I had one more pint, along with some water and then headed downtown. I wandered down Beach street and down Grove until I came to Queen. I wandered up Queen, looking at the lights and buldings. There are some beautiful buidlings in this city. I was kind of looking for a bar to pop into and use their toilet, but I finally came across the Town Hall. The doors were wide open, so I went in. After using their facilities, I found a playbill. Apparently is was a world premier! There were still people milling around, but I didn't stop to chat.

In an effort to keep from getting lost, I headed back down Queen street the way I came. I was entertaining myself with miscelleaneous things to make me smile - tyring to click my heels together (irish style), tyring to hit a sign when jumping, etc. I passed by a shop with lights so bright that I had to look towards the street. I just barely saw the sax player messing with his equipment in the doorway. A half block later the sax player started playing. I sat on a bench and listened to the music echo down the buildings. It was such a city sound; the traffic on my right, the saxaphone blues reverbing down the street. The only thing that didn't sit right, was the incredibly beautiful building across the street with golden McDonald arches all over it. What a waste. I went back and put some money in the sax man's case.

I continued down the street, eventually turning back onto beach street. Somewhere down the way, I got an "oi" and a thumbs up as someone drove by. I have no idea, but I raised my hand in acceptance of the props - it must have been the BSU jacket. Ya, that's it.

I wandred back up to Parnell street towards the pub. On my way, I came across a small park with a swing set. I had myself a swing under the moon and stars. After the swing, I got off and took a non-moving look at the stars. I made up seeing the hook of Maui attached to Scorpio. But really had no idea. I wandered further down the road. I saw a man coming out of the pub and asked if he knew the constellations. He was from the northern hemisphere too, so he was of no use. I then rounded the corner back towards the hostel and saw one of the men from the band. He recognized their one dedicated clapping audience and said hello. I asked if he knew the constellations. He didn't really, but he did show me the southern cross. No wonder that "kite" looked so familiar. I haven't seen it in 4 years, and then it was just barely over the Hawaiian horizon. Tonight it was half way up the sky. I'll have to buy a star book before to long.

All in all, it was a great night.

No comments: